Shwen aspires to combine his background in academia (science), agency (med comm), and industry (pharma) together with his interest, experience, and passion for emerging technologies and new/social media, in order to drive innovation in science and medicine.
Shwen is currently VP of Digital Health within the Health Practice at Edelman’s NYC office.
Most recently, Shwen led Digital Strategy and Social Media within the Marketing department at Vertex Pharmaceuticals, where he focused on New and Social Media, Web 2.0, and Health 2.0. He led the development of a comprehensive digital strategy for launch/commercialization — including (internal and external) new/social media strategies — and establishes/maintains key relationships with the new media and health 2.0 communities.
Prior to Vertex, Shwen managed the respiratory franchise Speakers Bureau and oversaw KOL-related meetings and events (e.g. advisory boards, speaker training, etc.), as part of the Marketing Communications department at Sepracor, where he was also heavily involved in various Web 2.0 and new media activities. During his tenure at Sepracor, he contributed to the launch of two brands in the respiratory franchise. And before Sepracor, Shwen was a Web Producer and Scientific Editor at the Neuroscience Education Institute — a medical communications agency that develops continuing medical education (CME) programs in Psychopharmacology.
Shwen obtained a BS (suma cum laude) in behavioral neuroscience from Northeastern University in Boston, MA. Subsequently, he completed his doctoral research in behavioral pharmacology at the University of Cambridge (England, UK), where he also earned a certificate in entrepreneurship.
Shwen speaks regularly at industry events on New/Social Media and advises various industry-related organizations on their social media strategies. For 2009, he served as advisor and chairman of the 3rd annual Digital Pharma conference, sat on the (new media) advisory board for IAmBiotech.org, and served as a new media advisor to AIDS.gov.
When Shwen is not online and immersed in social media, he can be found playing tennis, BBQing, taking pictures, fishing, traveling, scuba diving, or dining on great food/wine/beer (among a myriad of other interests).
List of Upcoming and Recent Professional Engagements:
FEB 2011: Workshop Instructor @ ePharma Summit(had to pull out)
- MAR 2011: Core Conversation Moderator @ SXSW — Socially Regulated: Social Media in Regulated Industries
- MAR 2011: Speaker @ CBI’s iPharmaConnect: Exploring the (Pharma) Twitterverse: Tweet Cred or Fail Whale
- APR 2011: Keynote @ iStrategy Conference (San Francisco) — Twitter is a Petri Dish: Growing Your Social Media Culture in a Regulated Environment
- APR 2011: Chair @ Digital Pharma Virtual
- SEP 2011: Chair @ Social Health Summit/Unconference (SXSH)
- SEP 2011: Speaker @ ePatient Connections 2011
- OCT 2011: Co-Chair @ 2011 Digital Pharma East
- FEB 2010: Workshop Instructor @ ePharma Summit — Advanced Social Media Boot Camp
- MAR 2010: Founder & Co-Organizer @ Social Health 2010
- APR 2010: Panel Speaker @ Babson Healthcare and Life Sciences Forum
- JUN 2010: Workshop Instructor / Speaker @ Digital Pharma West
- SEP 2010: Speaker @ #140Conf Boston — Social Health: How the Healthcare Industry is Leveraging the Real-Time Web
- SEP 2010: Co-Lead @ Social Pharmer at e-Patient Connections 2010
- OCT 2010: Chairman and Advisor @ 2010 Digital Pharma East
- NOV 2010: Speaker @ EyeForPharma e-Communication & Online Marketing Summit
- DEC 2010: Co-Presenter @ ALI’s Social Media for Pharma
- FEB 2009: Panelist @ ePharma Summit — Social Media, Blogs and User Generated Content: What’s Working Today, What Will Work Tomorrow?
- MAY 2009: Panelist @ BIO International Convention — Spreading the Word: New Technologies Mean Everyone Is a Journalist
- JUL 2009: Presenter @ WEGO Health Webinar — Twitter Power Tools for Health Activists
- JUL 2009: Roundtable Chair @ BDI Social Communications & Healthcare — Getting Started in a “Socially Challenged” World: Strategies and Best Practices for Initiating Social Media Programs in Pharma/Healthcare
- JUL 2009: Presenter @ ExL Webinar — Pharma Twitterama: Exlporing the Use of Twitter in Pharma and Healthcare
- OCT 2009: Presenter @ Human Resources Policy Institute Fall Meeting
- OCT 2009: Chairman and Advisor @ 2009 Digital Pharma
- OCT 2009: Presenter @ Boston Biotech Meetup hosted by IAmBiotech.org
- NOV 2009: Panelist @ Web 2.0 Expo NYC — On Security, Identity & Liability in Social Media
- NOV 2009: Presenter/Panelist @ BDI Healthcare and Social Media Leadership Forum — Parting the Gray Sea: Finding a Path for Social Media After the Divine Hearing